I remember transferring a large number of them for the Wisconsin
Historical Society back in the '70s.  We actually altered the
tensions on an Ampex 440c to be gentler on the tape.  The big problem
was a failure of the binder.  After leaving the pinch roller, the
tape went one way, the oxide another.  It didn't shed exactly, the
oxide looked like a very fragile tape, just separated from the
backing.

Bob Cham