On 18/09/2012, Corey Bailey wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> Are you back-lighting the slides? If so, how?

The slide holder for the Nikon bellows that I am using has a bit of
white plastic to go behind the slide. However, I found that its frame
was casting shadows, so I removed it and am using a larger sheet of
white Perspex (=Plexiglas) a few inches away.

The light source is daylight, and the camera is set to Auto White
Balance. I tried Custom white balance, but results were not so good.
Many old slides have strong color casts, and the AWB goes part way to
correcting them.

(Using a Nikon bellows with an Olympus lens involves various adaptors -
an Olympus bellows would make more sense, but I am using the equipment I
already have. I made many very good duplicate slides with this combination 20
years ago.)

If I was starting from scratch, I would try Sony's 30mm macro lens on
the NEX. It has auto focus, which would be handy. For this combination,
one would have to make up a simple wooden slide-and-camera holder.
But I can't afford to buy a lens just to see how it works when I have an
excellent lens already.

> Great discussion, off topic or not. It saves me from having to join
> more lists for this information.

Regards
--
Don Cox