Hi Carl:

You are right about the Philips with floor vibrations. Cheapo feet are the reason. I use an old IBM
typewriter pad that used to sit under the Selectric typewriters so they wouldn't vibrate a desk.
Plus it's on top of a heavy file cabinet sitting on a concrete slab, nowhere near any woofers. The
touch-sensitive buttons were a koolio feature in the early 80's (along with big hair and
"Flashdance"), but they get very insensitive over time. I now have to blow on my fingertips before
operating them or they won't sense any touch. I'm not dead, but I do have dry hands and fingers. My
mother (the original owner) had the same problem with those buttons. At her house, the turntable was
in a cabinet that had cement under it and the speakers were in a different room, so no vibration
feedback problems.

In the case of both the Philips and the Technics servo systems, there's plenty of feedback to make
speed accuracy and pitch accuracy if the system is functioning. One system that could get tripped up
was Denon, which had two tape heads and a magnetic ring inside the platter as its system. That's
only about one data point per second (2x 33 1/3 per minute), and some people can hear the system
adjust speed on tracking-challenge stuff like fff to ppp on a good classical recording. I saw that
tape-head and fixed magnet system used in one other place -- on AutoTec tape decks, that's how
motion-sensing was done. Ampex used a light source, strobe wheel and light-detector on the AG-440C.
I was taught old-school about tape spooling, and don't trust any motion sensing system. I always
"rock and roll" to a dead stop, then hit stop. Diverging ...

Anyway, as I've said numerous times, there is only so much "perfection" you're going to eek out of
the _vast_ majority of LP records. Even a modest modern system (due to low-noise phono preamps and
the general availability of decently compliant cartridges) will reveal how much rumble and hum and
hiss is baked into the "golden era" records. Listen on headphones and it all hangs out. The early
Westrex stereo cutters were tough beasts to wrangle, and the old lathes were rumbling to varying
degrees of audibility. Plus the old tape machines had relatively high noise floors, old tapes
hissed, etc. The problem with most "audiophile" records is that the content sucks and isn't worth
hearing, performance-wise and/or recording-wise. Some reissue LPs of more recent vintage are
wonderful exceptions to that admittedly blanket statement.

-- Tom Fine