>I wondered if anyone has had experience with paper based tapes and if so,
>are
>there any special problems associated with them.
>Thanks.
>Karl

I worked with a few of these at the Louis Armstrong Archive (personal tapes
recorded during one of Louis' visits to Hawaii in, I believe, 1948). What I
recall is that the tapes were rather fragile, and the tapes tended to break
if the tension was too high. The breaks were easily repaired by splicing,
and I had no other problems transferring them, but I did also notice that
there was much lower signal to noise ratio, which I attributed to the rather
rough surface of the paper backing. If I recall correctly, Louis states on
one of the tapes that he had bought the tape stock at an army base where he
was performing.

-Matt Sohn