On 26/09/2012 11:49, Tom Fine wrote:
> Thanks in advance for any/all expert factual answers.
>
> 1. Bell Labs developed a veritcal-lateral disk recording system and
> made some test recordings in their laboratory. What was the timeframe
> for this? Before the Stokowski/Philly recordings?
>
> 2. I had always assumed the Stoki/Philly recordings were with the
> newly-developed 45-45 disk recording system. Is this factually correct?
>
> 3. Just to confirm, were the Blumlein/EMI binaural disk recordings
> made with a vertical-lateral system or a 45-45 or something else? I
> had thought vert-lat, but I want to be sure.
>
> 4. Is there any documentation out there (not silly opinion pieces
> online but real factual documentation) showing the differences between
> the vertical-lateral systems? Was Decca's 1950's microgroove vert-lat
> (never brought to market, as all the major companies agreed to the
> Bell/Westrex 45-45 stereophonic cutting system in order to facilitate
> universal compatibility) still another approach or a smaller-stylus
> adaption of an earlier system?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -- Tom Fine

3. Blumlein stereo cutter was vert/lat - the surviving disc sides only
make sense played this way, although the width on the Mozart/Beecham is
not great - I spoke to one of Blumlein's assistants many years ago, who
told me that they were disappointed at the time, and reckoned that the
difference amplifier was having an off day.

4. Arthur Haddy gives some of this story in his chapter in Briggs'
/Audio Biographies/ - the Decca/Teldec system was easily tweaked to run
45/45, the carrier system having been abandoned some time previously for
fear the marketing people would put two separate programmes on the two
channels!