http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHsRK0ln4VQ&list=UUAhGeuY3JW3uCPrm2nwhleQ&index=4&feature=plcp

Mark Wilder in action. Listen on decent speakers, some of the changes are subtle. He definitely ends
up with a more sparkling, commercial sound. I think it's somewhat in-yo-face, but that's one man's
opinion and I really don't like heavily-compressed dynamics. The low-end cleanup was a big
improvement, very instructional. The explaination of why certain frequencies are chosen is also very
instructional. I think if he had been given a more dynamic 2-channel mix to work with, the result
could have been better. There wasn't much to compress since what he got was just about all one
level. It could be the way electronic instruments work, but I think a lot of it was done by the
recording engineer. If you give a good mastering guy something that's less compressed than a typical
finished master, especially if you give him stems as well as your 2-track mix, he probably can do
the dynamics better than you can because he has better tools and better monitors, plus likely better
judgement.

-- Tom Fine