In 1952 at Hofstra University, the A/V Dept. recorded stereo using two
Pentron r2r side by side, the recording/playback head of the 2nd machine
inverted, so that the tape (which ran through both machines) recorded two 1/2
tracks of stereo.  Worked fine!

Don

In a message dated 9/26/2012 12:31:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

On  26/09/2012 16:51, Tom Fine wrote:
> Are you guys saying that the  Philips-Miller system that etched
> optically-read soundtracks onto  coated film stock was used to make
> stereophonic recordings? History,  please! Was it two machines locked
> together or did they use two  inscribing heads for the same piece of film?
>
> -- Tom  Fine
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Kendall"

Two heads, one film, from what I can gather - the  BBC mono machines were
adjusted cut a second track onto used film during  wartime shortages, so
the medium had space enough for two tracks. I think  the narration of the
programme confirms  this.