Hi all --

This is a question for those of you creating EAD and/or MARC records for your manuscript collections.  In a collection that includes correspondence with, say, several hundred people, do you have a rule of thumb for deciding which of these folks get identified in 600/700 fields in the MARC record and/or in <controlaccess><persname> elements at the top of the EAD?  Do you choose by notoriety, quantity of material, whether you have other collections they appear in...?  If "all of the above," how do you weight the different criteria?

I know there's no "right" answer, but I'm interested in how people are thinking about this.

Thanks --

Michele

Michele Combs
Lead Archivist