Wow, a shout out from John Rees!  I'm blushing.

John,

I have exactly what you are looking for.  See the attached
yale.eadfolder2mods.xsl.  This stylesheet produces one MODS file per folder
and each childless component in an EAD instance.  There is pretty good
documentation in the comments at the beginning.  It's been a while since I
wrote it but I can try to answer any questions you have.

Mike