Something mysterious is going on with Drury Lane Theatre (aka Theatre Royal, Drury Lane). Until recently, there was one authority record for the theatre:

Drury-Lane Theatre (n  50043073)  http://authorities.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?AuthRecID=3731142&v2=1&HC=1&SEQ=20120918114840&PID=ssHnonxoBAENC5u6jbv0PUxyZsHod

This heading was changed to Drury-Lane Theatre (London, England) (still n  50043073), and a new NAR established as an earlier heading: Theatre Royal, Drury Lane (London England) (nb2012012255).

http://authorities.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?AuthRecID=8991301&v1=1&HC=1&SEQ=20120918115038&PID=lx-hJR5H6pyyGunIeYcqTXQ4o3kbA

We are bewildered by these changes; there is no evidence that we know indicating an earlier/later relationship. Certainly there is nothing in the NAR's to give any help. Both are name headings, so presumably are names of the organization rather than the building (of which there have been four). As far as we know, its formal title is still "Theatre Royal, Drury Lane." http://www.london-theatreland.co.uk/theatres/theatre-royal-drury-lane/theatre.php

In addition, both NARs have this identical 667: Earlier name established on LC/NAF for descriptive use. The new NAR is labelled 'rda,' although I can't see why that should make any difference.

Any enlightenment would be most welcome.

Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003