From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of john g marr
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Drury Lane Theatre

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Ted P Gemberling wrote:

> It seems like this is a situation where they used to mostly call
> something Royal Theatre Drury Lane, but now they mostly call it Drury
> Lane Theatre. Is that situation handled at all by rules?

  The problem is "mostly." If it's a matter of inconsistent referents on publications, then one of the names should be the heading and the other a cross-reference to it.

  If it is a matter of the two names having different meanings (e.g. one is a building, one is a theatre company), or the name having formally changed at some point but publishers being inconsistent despite the change (like that would ever happen!), then there should be separate records.

  To start with, how about a history note on the authority records.
According to Wikipedia:

   "Theatre Royal, Bridges Street" (aka. Theatre Royal in Bridges Street, King's Playhouse, etc.) opened in 1663 and burned down in 1672;

   "Theatre Royal, Drury Lane [1674]" opened in 1674 and was demolished in 1791;

   "Theatre Royal, Drury Lane [1794]" opened in 1794 and burned down in 1809;

   "The present Theatre Royal in Drury Lane" [aka. Theatre Royal, Drury Lane [1812]?] opened in 1812. "Theatre Royal, Drury Lane [is] commonly known as Drury Lane" [Wikipedia], so the appellation "Drury Lane Theatre"
is probably a common informal term (can't prove it's only been used for the modern theatre).

   I'd summarize all that as there having been 4 different buildings on the same spot, the 1st with the formal name "Theatre Royal, Bridges Street" and the following 3 with the same formal name ("Theatre Royal, Drury Lane") and informal name (Drury Lane [Theatre]).

Cheers!

jgm

  John G. Marr
  Cataloger
  CDS, UL
  Univ. of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131

     **There are only 2 kinds of thinking: "out of the box" and "outside the box."

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but sharing is permitted.