OCLC guidelines say to ignore when the book was received when determining what date[s] to record.    I hope the chart below goes through email OK.  It is from the section on 260 $c of Bibliographic Formats and Standards.   I think the idea is to describe the book as it presents itself, and this makes sense to me.    Both the old and the new LCPSs seem to go against the “transcribe what you see” principle that is in force in other cases.

Amy

Summary of Field 260 ‡c, Date of Publication

Book

Publication Date

Copyright Date

Printing Date

Field 260 ‡c

DtSt /
Date1

Received in [year]; publication date in year following

2002 [book received in 2001]

2002

s / 2002

Received in [year]; copyright date in year following

c2002 [book received in 2001]

c2002

s / 2002