I've mentioned this before, but since we're discussing Brunswick Records. ...

According to Page 14 of this book:
http://tinyurl.com/blj3ny7
Brunswick built its 3rd location NYC studio at 799 Seventh Avenue in April 1924, on the "upper
floors" of the building. The company had previously operated at an unknown 1st location, then at 16
W. 36th St.

As I understand it, Columbia inherited the studio through acquiring ARC, but I might be wrong about
that. In any case, here is a photo of one of the Columbia control rooms in 1963:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alcue/5585363115/in/photostream/
(worthwhile to stream through the many other Columbia photos in this flickr album)
As I understand it, and again I might be wrong about this, Columbia used the Seventh Avenue location
both before and during the time they owned the famous 30th Street "Church" studio, eventually
consolidating their NYC studio operations at 30th Street.

At some point, I think in the late 60's, Phil Ramone's A&R Studios took over the Columbia space on
Seventh Avenue. A&R had started out on West 48th Street, above Manny's Music.

A&R was in operation at 799 Seventh Avenue until the early 80's, I think it closed down around 1982,
maybe a year or two earlier.

So that space had a continuous or near-continuous run as a recording studio for about 58 years. The
only studio I can think of with a longer run is Abbey Road in London. Any others?

-- Tom Fine