t is an ancestor od The American Record Guide.

Steve Smolian

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Fine
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Phonograph Monthly Reviews @ Philadelphia Free
Library...Light Ray Recording

Exactly WHO is claiming to own the copyright on Phonograph Monthly Review
magazines? There are
apparently scans at Google Books, but the text is inaccessible. I can't
imagine anyone remotely
connected with this original magazine company is anywhere near Earth to
claim a copyright, so this
must be some sort of pirate/loophole-taker involved.

There is a description of the Light Ray system included in the text for this
video (I'm not vouching
for any accuracy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9EKFcP2TTA

Here is more on the system, as used in Germany:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4643
apparently, the Germans used a purely electrical system, rather than an
acoustic horn as the sound
collector as some descriptions have Brunswick's US system.

Some mention of the Light Ray system here, again not vouching for any
accuracy:
http://zaydesturntable.wordpress.com/tag/light-ray-process/

Here is a Google Books excerpt where you can actually read the text, with
detailed mention of the
Brunswick Light Ray system in the US:
http://tinyurl.com/ctrd7k9

In general, optical recording needed much refinement and mitigation to
result in really excellent
audio. It was always fine for dialog, field audio and some sound effects.
But the high levels of
distortion, limited dynamic range and vagueries of bulb brightness, film
stock and the like would
lead to less reliable fidelity than could be achieved via the WECO
electronic groove-cutting system.
There is a vast library of papers that were published in the SMPE/SMPTE
Journal, IEEE Journal and
other places, describing the many and continuous refinements in optical
recording, up to the very
recent past. Often, a telltale sign of optical recording (combined with
SMPTE curves for
dialog-intelligability) is a screaming midrange with very little bass or
treble. This works OK in a
cinema, because it makes the dialog crystal clear and people are generally
munching popcorn and
paying less attention to sound fidelity than what's happening on-screen. It
does not work well in a
home-theater setting, and thus the best home-video releases have always
featured a remixed and often
re-equalized soundtrack making for wider frequency range and bettter overall
audibility through home
speakers. Lower-budget home-video releasers have not gone to the trouble,
and their lousy-sounding
work is sometimes painful to watch!

-- Tom Fine