Another person contacted me recently about his 1520, having found from a
2008 post I made to the listserv that I had a 1520 and both its Operating
Instructions and Service Manual. His symptom is that after hitting the play
button the unit starts to play but then stops virtually immediately.  On page 6
of my manual, there is a Symptomatic Check List.  The closest thing to the
symptom described to me is "tape stops running during playback" with the
"check point" of "too strong a pressure between pressure roller and capstan,"
noting that a "pressure roller pressure adjustment" is needed.  Pages 14-15
describe the process by which the pressure can be adjusted to 900 +/-100
grams.

Does anyone have a hands-on familiarity with the 1520 to add any further
comments/warnings/encouragement regarding this symptom?  I will pass on any
info received.  Thanks!

Jim Long
Baroda, MI