On 03/10/2012 13:21, Tom Fine wrote:
> Ted, GOOD JOB on the Lunceford transfers from John RT Davies'
> collection. Some of those are remarkably good recordings for 80 years
> ago. The low level of surface noise on the test pressings really make
> the dynamics pop. Whomever the Kapps had for an engineer knew what he
> was doing.
>
> -- Tom Fine
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Kendall"

Couldn't agree more, Tom. The pressings were done around 1960, when
Decca decided to scrap most of their 78 metal. Intelligently, however,
they struck a few vinyls from each stamper before scrapping it, and
these have trickled out over time. If only we could hear more 78
recordings in this way. The sense of the room, combined with the bite
and immediacy of the band, is quite something...