Hi, Tim and Tom,

I was hoping not to have to discuss this format <smile>...but since you
asked...I honestly do not have enough data to know how interchange works
among all the various machines. I had a TASCAM 234 and a 238 and both
suffered from belt-itis and I had not used them often enough to warrant
repair, so I sold them "as is" to George Blood who does more volume than I.

I do have a DataTape 4-channel machine that needs outboard EQ and
probably doesn't "sound" as good as a well-maintained TASCAM as it was
designed for voice logging and instrumentation purposes and does not
have the audio EQ (easily added in the DAW). The nice thing about these
machines (I have two) is that they run from 15/32 to 7-1/2 in/s.

I recently did a set of tapes for a major Canadian bank and there was a
mixture of reels and cassettes. Of course the reels were older than the
cassettes, but even at 3.75 in/s I was so much happier with the sound of
the reels than with the cassettes.

The best thing to do is take the tapes and use proper archival practices
(azimuth, external dbx processor, critical listening, etc) to capture
the best you can.

The external dbx processor allows easy adjustment of reference levels to
make things sound "right"...just like the grooved media thread on
ARSCLIST -- do what you need to do to make it sound right. Yes, I have
at least four channels of external dbx II. To get this completely right,
I would probably ingest the raw files, adjust EQ, send them in real time
to the dbx units and then deliver both sets of files. Time con$uming.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard