I did an ARSC presentation on this topic a number of years ago.

Check the Columbias for another, handwritten number in the dead wax with an
"X" prefix." These were Western Electric experiments that succeeded so well
that Columbia issued them.  I Think.  This wan't part of the presentation.

The companies had to "tamp down" the dynamic range, particularly in the
bass, so the records would sound OK on the earlier machines before the
speakers designed with the Orthophonic formulas, acoustic and electric, came
into general use. This allowed them to continue to sell records to their
installed base.  They let it all hang out in November of 1925 during
"Orthophonic Week." (again, the date is from memory).  These record releases
use the scroll label, whereas the eearlier 1925 electrics used the wing
label.

The Western Electric test pressings of the New York Philharmonic, some of
which are dubbed in their commemorative CD box, clearly show greater dynamic
range than the commercial early electrics.  I used the Mengelberg Hollander
Overture to demo this. I'm going by memory here, but I think the
experimental one was made in 1924 and the commercial one in 1925.

Incidntally, another of those experimental Western Electric discs in their
"X series stayed in print a while as a Victor frequency test record.  Can't
check for the number right now.  Again, it's handscribed in the dead wax and
bears a separate Victor catalog number as well.

Steve Smolian