Hi, Corey,

Thank you for this information. It is very useful. While I did not
"discover" D5, I have perhaps done more than anyone else to raise
awareness that it is an interesting liquid for tape re-lubrication. I
was originally pointed in that direction by Scott Dorsey.

I have added MSDS links on my page (several days ago as I said I would
in the thread) saving people from Googling.
http://richardhess.com/notes/2012/10/09/source-for-d5-decamethylcyclopentasiloxane/

My use of D5 is NOT constant. I use it less than once per week on
average. I have not seen 50 ppm in the MSDS sheets that I have looked
at, but let's see how that works out because I'm curious.

My studio is approximately 11 x 13 x 7.5 feet or a bit over 1,000 cu ft.
That translates into 335 x 396 x 228 cm or a volume a bit over
30,000,000 cu cm. 1 cu cm = 1 ml.

My normal "dosage" for a cassette is about 5 ml that dissipates over a
few hours. Assuming it all evaporates into the air at once, that is an
exposure level of 0.2 ppm. Let's assume I'm really sloppy with a reel
tape and use one ounce (30 ml) of D5 and that it all evaporates at once.
Here I end up with 1 ppm.

I do have mechanical ventilation on my studio. There is a supply fan and
an exhaust fan. I usually keep them well throttled back for noise
reasons (I meet NC25 with one computer and both fans running low) so
let's assume that the average rate of air replacement is about 50 cfm.
That means that I replace the air completely every four hours or less.
The volume of the house is about 667,000,000 cu cm providing a further
22 x dilution if no outside air is replaced. At this point, I suspect
that the house exchanges outside air at least four times per day--more
in the fall and spring--so I do not see any real chance of buildup of D5
to even 50 ppm.

I currently have less than 5 l of D5 in the house and if all of that
were to evaporate at once, the average concentration in the house would
be 8 ppm.

Obviously local doses would be higher.

The lethal dose for 50 % of the rabbits tested was >16 ml/kg. Assuming
that I weigh 100 kg and that I have the same sensitivity to contact as
rabbits, that would require 1.6 l of D5 to be absorbed through my skin.
I think that is unlikely to happen. Isopropyl alcohol is equally toxic
(12.8 g/kg in rabbits -- please note that the MSDS for this which I link
on the D5 page specifies it as 12,800 mg/kg which makes it LOOK much
safer) which is very close to the 16 ml/kg for D5 (factoring in that
isopropyl is lighter than D5). I wonder if the test is stopped at 16
ml/kg and that's why the D5 sheet says > 16 ml/kg???

This EU report shows a much higher LD50 number
http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/consumer_safety/docs/sccs_o_029.pdf

The above-referenced EU report notes that, on average, cosmetic and
personal care products that contain D4/D5 or some combination thereof
contain about 8.3 %, The highest concentration noted was 45 % in a
stick-type antiperspirant with rouge powder at a maximum of 33.6% (pp
97-98).

So, using the 8.3 % average concentration means that for every 12 g or
12 ml of the product you APPLY DIRECTLY TO YOUR BODY, you are applying 1
g or 1 ml of D4/D5.

Both the EU and the Canadian report (referenced in the blog post) seem
to think that D5 is safe in its personal care role but needs to be
watched for long-term environmental effects.

Please note that I would be concerned working around D5 in a
dry-cleaning establishment, but no where near as concerned as with
earlier chemicals that were used.

I'm not being cavalier but I am also not being alarmist. Everyone must
make up their own minds about the relative safety. It is good to think
about workplace safety, but at least my studio allows me to use D5
without worrying about coming anywhere near the 50 ppm exposure level.
My relative infrequent usage of the technique also helps in this regard.

One of the unknowns is tape baking and at this point I am recommending
the use of a "range hood" type exhaust fan to remove the materials that
are evaporated off the tapes during the baking process.

As an aside, when I had the Mt. St. Helens seismic tapes here, I could
smell the presumed-to-be whale-oil lubricants until about a month after
the tapes were removed. It was very faint, but I could smell
them...through the cardboard boxes that they were packed in!

Thanks again for the discussion.

Cheers,

Richard