Hi, Lou,

In order to understand the time constant perspective, one needs to
realize that most equalization curves (Ampex Master Equalization and
perhaps others excepted) utilize single pole shaping networks, so the
amplitude response changes at the rate of 6 dB per octave or 20 dB per
decade for all curves.

The time constant refers to the 3 dB down "corner frequency" of the
curve. This can be provided as a time constant or as a frequency.

There is some looseness in this specification because the frequency
values have been slightly changed to fit into the ISO preferred
frequency series.

One of the wonderful Web references is
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Calculations03.htm
and specifically this for your current question
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-timeconstant.htm

You will note that in the above-referenced page, 3180 Ás is used when
referring to 50 Ás, but Jay, I think, uses 3150, the ISO preferred
frequency. This amounts to about a 1 % ambiguity or (I think) about a
0.09 dB ambiguity.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Richard