It seem that perhaps two generations have passed since I did my ARSC
presentation "Electrical Recording Before Western Electric" in 1977  --
I've been told that anonymous recordings of that talk have been
circulating far beyond the ARSC community (people quote my own talk back
to me and someone even sent me a tape, all not knowing it was me!)  So
although I could say it has already been done, it is long overdue for an
update.  None of you guys seem to remember it as evidenced by some of
the facts I posted last week having been circulating in the past 35
years since my talk and dissertation.  A lot of new information has been
discovered, especially the work Nick Bergh presented at ARSC this year
about the continuing improvements at Victor of the W.E. system.  Other
forgotten ARSC talks were given by a member of the development team of
W.E. and the inventor of W.E. stereo -- Arthur C. Keller -- and one of
the inventors of wire recording (Carlson??).  There is audio of the
former and I have video of the latter.

A panel is definitely the way to go -- no one person knows everything --
and do not limit yourself to cover the entire subject in one year.  I
spread my presentations about broadcast and instantaneous recording over
4 or 5 years.  Tom's talk about stereo was a good intro to that subject,
and we need to bring back Mike Gray to AGAIN detail the beginnings of
stereo (he also has done ARSC presentations on the subject).  We also
had talks on the subject by David Hall as well as the taped interview
Dennis Rooney did with Tom's mother.  So we HAVE had talks on all of
this in the past -- it has NOT been ignored. But you hadda been there --
and I have been since 1971 except for two.

Mike Biel   [log in to unmask]