Dennis and I are in complete agreement here. �The most effective tools in remastering ANYTHING are good ears and good judgment. �Sounds much easier than it is, but it's a fact. �After that, having a high quality sound source, proper disc preparation and using the proper playback equipment in good working order are key. �As Tom wrote, it is far better to have a better sound source than to clean it up after the fact. �Think of it as a vaccine, rather than a cure. �Far better never to have the disease, than to try and cure it.
In my experience, ALL de-noising programs or hardware (whether declicking, decracking or removing steady noise) have anywhere from a little to a lot of negative effect on the signal. �There is no free lunch. �For example, Sonic No Noise has a manual deticking series of algorithms that are very time consuming to use (if removing many ticks), but work quite well. �I did a test however, on a extremely ticky 78 side, and removed the ticks manually using these algorithms. �I found to my dismay that when I A-B'ed the original to the deticked version, the signal had become somewhat duller, and EQ'ing did not restore the lost "bloom". �Having said that, CEDAR Cambridge, Sonic No Noise, iZotope RX2, Weiss DNA-1 etc, can be highly effective in reducing noise, and the negative effects can be either acceptable or compensated for to some degree if the software/hardware are used judiciously.
Jon Samuels

--- On Mon, 10/1/12, Dennis Rooney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Dennis Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Reducing crackle from 78 rpm records the analogue way on 70's reissue LP's
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, October 1, 2012, 4:17 PM

It's clear that there is some divergence of opinion on the efficacy of some
of the tools mentioned. All such tools, analogue or digital, old or new,
require for their proper use what Tom Fine decribed as "expert ears and
good taste", supplemented by knowledge, judgment and experience. There is
NO substitute for those qualities when doing anything with audio.
Preparation must include an equally expert cleaning before the stylus is
lowered into the groove. I prefer the Keith Monks for reasons too obvious
to enumerate. Yet even after such a careful cleaning, there is no guarantee
of an optimum playback from start to finish. Following a successful
transfer, every noise event must be checked to ensure against artifacts,
which is why I see red when some fatuous fool talks about "automatic"
processes for noise reduction. They don't exist.

DDR

--
Dennis D. Rooney
303 W. 66th Street, 9HE