Apologies for the delayed reply.

During the early 1990
Hi Jeff,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

During the early 1990’s, I experimented with various chemicals and
off-the-shelf products looking for the holy grail of lubricants for analog tape
and magnetic film suffering from binder hydrolyses and other forms of degradation.

D5:
I’ve never used D5. I’ve only had some discussions with Richard Hess about this
particular chemical. However, my concerns are; according to the MSDS, D5 should
be limited to an exposure level of 50ppm (Parts per Million) and Richard uses
this stuff at full strength. The MSDS also recommends vented eye protection,
respirator, etc. I can send you the MSDS off list if you are interested. My
other concern with D5 is the possible effects on the oxide for long term
storage. Richard Hess discovered D5 for use as a lubricant for magnetic media and is the resident authority on its use.

IPA:
Marie O'Connell's method works. I tried something similar during my 1990’s experiments
and had good results. My experimental method consisted of applying the IPA with
a large eye dropper directly onto the tape oxide while in play mode. The erase and record
heads acted as a squeegee and problem tapes played surprisingly well. My
concern at the time was the amount of IPA that was getting into the electronics.
Marie has modified her machines so that the IPA is contained. IPA is not harmful to tape oxide and since it evaporates completely, there should be no adverse effects on long term storage. Marie would be the authority here on observed long term effects, if any.

What I use is Last factory lubricants: https://www.lastfactory.com/
This lubricant is safe to handle (MSDS is available) and has
no long term consequences that I have been able to discover. According to the
company, their lubricants will enhance the shelf life of analog tape. I have
used it on hundreds of analog tapes and magnetic film elements with great
success (about 95%). According to Walt Davies at Last Factory, I was the first
to try their product on magnetic film.
This stuff is expensive and if you have a large collection
or do a large volume of tape transfers, it could get costly. I simply build it
into the cost of doing business.

Some other products I’ve tried with success:

Zecote
This is a lubricant designed to lubricate film for use in
projectors. It can be aggressive on oxide if used excessively. I’m not sure if
Zecote is still available.

Filmguard; http://www.film-tech.com/products/filmguard.php
Also a lubricant designed to lubricate film for use in
projectors however, it is touted as safe for magnetic oxide. My findings have
been that it works well and has no immediate adverse effects. It does leave a
residue on the oxide which makes me wary of its long term effects on stored
media.

Jojoba oil:
Organic, works well, easily available, but like the others,
leaves a film that may be harmful for long term storage.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
http://www.baileyzone.net