I am a long time listener, first time caller on this listserv. I am student
looking for some help on research I am doing on the standard audio compact
cassette. Specifically, I am looking for any information on the upper
frequency limits a compact cassette could capture but in general I also
wonder if there are some resources people may know of that explain some of
the essential, but more technical, characteristics of cassettes and cassette
recorders (e.g. alignment, tape bias, equalization, gap loss.) I seem to be
at an intermediate stage where most of the resources I find are too general
and donít give me any new information, or so technical that I have
difficulty making sense out of them. I would really appreciate it if anyone
could give me information about what factors limit the ability of cassette
tape/recorders to record high frequencies, and some idea of what that limit
might be for standard commercial equipment and tape? And/Or more generally
point me to any resources that might help me understand some of the more
technical aspects of cassette recording and tape characteristics.

And while I am at it I may as well solicit your opinions on digitizing
cassettes. I have read several case studies of institutions digitizing their
own cassettes, but then I have also read the IASA TC reports, Sound
Direction, ARSC TC guidelines, etc. and these reports would indicate that
digital transfers should always be done by audio professionals. What do the
folks here think? Is there some middle ground? On a format as ubiquitous as
the compact cassette is it conceivable that an institution could responsibly
do its own digitization work? Just trying to sort it all out.

Any help is greatly and kindly appreciated.
Best,
Derek Jackson