  I might be incorrect about this, and would welcome being corrected, but I have understood that the earliest commercially-released electrical recording was from March 1925, live:

  US Columbia 50013-D (Black Label)
  Trad. arr. Mark Andrews: "John Peel"
  Associated Glee Clubs of America
    The label reads "850 Male Voices"
    "Recorded at their performance at Metropolitan Opera House, N.Y."
    Matrix #98163

  The other side:
  "Adeste Fidelis"
  Associated Glee Clubs, Met.Op. Hse.1925 (as above)
  850 Male Voices
  "Augmented by the audience of 4000 voices at the Metropolitan Opera House, N.Y." Matrix 98166

  Nowhere do the labels indicate that a new or different recording method was used.

  The astonishing listening experience is John Peel. The dynamic range is incredible. The climax is extremely realistically loud. I've had at least three copies over the years and have never found one without a degree of wear in the climax, probably due to the heavy old pickups plowing through the heavily modulated grooves and creating grooves of their own.

  I have read that after wear tests on a few early electrical recordings, the companies compressed their dynamic ranges to "cope." Is that correct? John Peel would rather seem to demand it for 1925/6 pickups. And did Victor beat Columbia with their Cortot and Stokowski electricals?

  Don Tait