Register today!

Join your colleagues at the FEDLINK Fall Exposition!

Building Foundations
October 24 – 25, 2012
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Mumford Room
Madison Building
Library of Congress
Washington, DC

Without a strong foundation, no structure will last.  Federal libraries and information centers are built upon such strong foundations and continue to serve as critical infrastructure for the work of government.  Yet having arrived in the brave new world of the digital and virtual, now is the time to inspect our founding principles and ideals.  We must reexamine them in the light of current circumstances--tight budgets, greater accountability, emerging technologies, and new customer bases.  How do we combine the best of what we have built with new insights and new tools?  How do we build upon our solid foundation and add our changing roles and opportunities?

The 2012 FEDLINK Fall Exposition will create a common space, a drawing board, for federal colleagues to explore the latest developments all the while reflecting on the fundamentals of our profession and our services.  A combination of presentations from noted experts will look at issues from the hottest topics of “Big Data” to the traditional of access, reference, and collection management.  Presenters and participants will examine federal libraries from the top of the cloud, through the stewardship of the collections, and back to grey literature, and all the combined resources essential to an information-driven world.

Topics on Wednesday will feature plenary sessions on federal collaboration via the tradition of poetry followed by a special guest speaker on the importance of grey literature in the research of the Cold War.  In the afternoon sessions, there will be a choice of topics including accessing grey literature in collections in the U.S. and abroad, an update on collaborative efforts on storing shared collections, developments in the Semantic Web and emerging library technologies.

Thursday’s agenda begins with a general FEDLINK membership meeting that features topics on the business of federal libraries and then a guest speaker who will spotlight what federal librarians really need to know about “Big Data.”  Afternoon breakout sessions will offer attendees a choice between the topics of potential revisions of the 1410 classification guidelines, the Google books case, digital stewardship, and emerging copyright issues.

To accommodate our "out of area" members as well as our limited seating capacity for this meeting... we are offering the option to attend the morning plenary sessions virtually via iCohere. Two afternoon sessions from the NewFeds Working Group and a breakout session on Digital Stewardship will also be broadcast on Wednesday.  Instructions and access information will be sent prior to the meeting for those who wish to attend virtually.

To register to attend onsite (for one or both days) or via the Web on ICohere, point your browser to FEDLINK 2012 Fall Expo Registration.  To request ADA Accommodations, please email [log in to unmask] five business days in advance.

For additional information or questions, please send an email to [log in to unmask] .