Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "The Conway Cabal: The Conspiracy to Replace George Washington as Commander-In-Chief" on Tuesday, October 16th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

Fortunately for General George Washington there was no such thing as Public Opinion Polls during the American Revolutionary War. By the late Fall of 1777, after more than two years of inconclusive war, there was growing concern about whether he was the right man for the job of Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Army. Washington's stature was at an all-time low following the defeat at Brandywine (Sept. 11, 1777), the occupation of Philadelphia by the British Army (Sept. 26, 1777), the defeat at Germantown (Oct. 4, 1777), and the loss of the Delaware River forts (mid-November 1777). Meanwhile, following a stunning victory at Saratoga (Oct. 17, 1777), a victory which would convince the French to recognize American independence, General Horatio Gates was given a gold medal by the Continental Congress.  As Washington's weary soldiers trudged into winter encampment at Valley Forge (Dec. 19, 1777), General Washington was not only fighting to keep his army from completely dissolving, but also to keep his thankless position.

Please join Park Ranger Eric Pominville as he discusses the “Conway Cabal” the effort by some to replace George Washington as the Commander-In-Chief during the Revolutionary War. Regarded by many historians as nothing more than grumblings of discontent by a disaffected few; others see it as the only serious challenge to Washington's position of ultimate authority. The episode provides a fascinating window into the myriad responsibilities, challenges, and personal headaches of the man we call "The Father of Our Country."

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our new Park Ranger Speaker Series website at http://www.doi.gov/library/programs/speaker.cfm.

We hope to see you on October 16th!

George Franchois
Director
U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library