NLS Operations Alert
DATE : October 9, 2012
TO : Network Libraries
FROM : Carolyn Sung, Chief, Network Division
SUBJECT : Vacancy announcement: Deputy Director of Public Services,
NLS has been asked to publicize a vacancy for the deputy director of Public Services position at the Wolfner Library, Missouri State Library. The vacancy announcement is below.
For more information contact:
Chief, Network Division
[log in to unmask]
Download the Employment Application
To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Human Resource Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
Deputy Director of Public Services
$3,546/Month to $3,759/Month
600 W. Main, Jefferson City Missouri
Wolfner Library, Missouri State Library
This is a professional library position with the Secretary of State’s Office with broad responsibility for public services provided by Wolfner Library. The Deputy Director for Public Services supervises the library’s Reader Advisors, Youth Services Librarian and Special Services Librarian. The Deputy is responsible for ensuring that library services meet the needs of readers unable to read standard print, and follow the guidelines of the National Library Service. The Deputy Director for Public Services is responsible for developing and maintaining the library collections and assisting with publicizing Wolfner Library services. Responsibilities include the overall administrative functioning of the library’s Keystone Library Automation System (KLAS).
Job Functions and General Responsibilities:
Public Services Supervision and Management
- Train, supervise and evaluate Reader Advisors and support staff directly related to readers' advisory work.
- Supervises Wolfner's Youth Services and Special Services Librarians
- Facilitate public services staff training and cross training.
- Develop and implement procedures to improve patron services.
- Maintain good relations with library patrons by resolving problems and ensuring patrons receive prompt and courteous service.
- Update and maintain a public services policy and procedure manual.
- Work with the National Library Service to reach, maintain, or exceed service standards.
- Monitor current trends and services provided by other libraries for the blind and physically handicapped to ensure Wolfner stays abreast with current services.
- Assist with planning, implementing, and maintaining the library's public services such as recommended reading lists, Braille and Audio Reading Downloads (BARD) administration, Newsline, Missouri digital book downloads (SHELF), descriptive DVDs, activity kits, and other services.
- Complete annual and bi-annual NLS reports and other reports as requested by the Director and State Librarian.
- Work with the Director to formulate and update library policies for recommendation to the State Librarian.
- Work with the Director to develop strategic public services initiatives.
Keystone Library Automation System (KLAS)
- KLAS administrator
- Serve as primary liaison to Keystone for KLAS system updates.
- Train Wolfner staff in the use of various modules of KLAS.
- Work with the Director, Special Services Librarian and other staff as appropriate to develop and implement outreach strategies.
- Promote Wolfner Library to library patrons, agencies, organizations, and the general public through presentations, exhibits, etc.
- Develop and manage those parts of the Wolfner collection aimed at adult patrons, including selection, acquisition, weeding, NLS copy allotment, and materials budgeting.
- Assist the Duplication department in prioritizing books needing duplication.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and to work closely with patrons, staff and the public in a positive manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to prepare written instructions and procedure manuals library operations
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to train and supervise clerical and technical staff
- Knowledge of online services, ebooks, and electronic information resources
- Ability to identify and analyze needs of patrons and to plan and implement programs which respond to those needs
- Ability to function effectively as a leader of or participant in work teams
- Ability to travel as needed for outreach.
- Possess strong working knowledge of library automation, Microsoft Office applications and other appropriate office computer applications
A Master’s degree, preferably in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited school, is required. Five years progressively responsible library work experience is required. Supervisory experience strongly preferred; experience in collection development and library automation is desired.
Position posted September 27, 2012. The minimum posting period will end October 26, 2012. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Application materials (cover letter, resume, completed application) may be mailed to: Attention: Deputy Director of Public Services, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767, Jefferson City, MO 65101. EOE