NLS Operations Alert
DATE : October 11, 2012
TO : Network Libraries
FROM : Carolyn Sung, Chief, Network Division
SUBJECT : Vacancy announcement: Special Services librarian, Wolfner Library
NLS has been asked to publicize a vacancy for the Special Services librarian position at the Wolfner Library, Missouri State Library. The vacancy announcement is below.
For more information contact:
Chief, Network Division
[log in to unmask]
Download the Employment Application [log in to unmask]">
To our applicants with disabilities: If you need assistance with this or any phase of the employment process, please contact our Human Resource Office at (573) 522-6254. Reasonable attempts will be made to accommodate your needs.
Special Services Librarian
$2,945/Month to $3,056/Month
600 W. Main, Jefferson City Missouri
Wolfner Library, Missouri State Library
This is a professional library position with responsibility for subject cataloging and collection maintenance, providing reference and information services to Wolfner patrons and coordinating public education and outreach activities. The Special Services Librarian has a pivotal role in learning the newest assistive technologies and is an advocate in their use, responsible for the cataloging function of the Keystone Library Automation System (KLAS) and works with the Deputy Director for Public Services in KLAS administration. Keeps current on new directions of library services including digital book production and current trends and circulation of electronic books.
Job Functions and General Responsibilities:
Subject Cataloging and Reference Collection Development
- Perform subject cataloging of materials added to the library's collection.
- Download catalog records from the National Library Service (NLS).
- Perform original cataloging as required for materials received from network libraries, purchase, or gift sources.
- Responsible for maintenance of series codes.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining those parts of the Wolfner collection having to do with reference, disabilities, and assistive technology, including selection, acquisitions, weeding, NLS copy allotment, and expenditure of materials budget.
- Work with the Deputy Director and outreach committee to develop and implement outreach strategies.
- Promote Wolfner Library to library patrons, agencies, organizations, and the general public through speaking engagements, exhibits, workshops, and in cooperation with the SOS communications department radio and television interviews, etc.
- Evaluate the appropriateness and usefulness of outreach efforts
- Develop promotional items and advertising as assigned.
- Write articles for newspapers and other publications as assigned.
- Edit and coordinate production and distribution of quarterly Wolfner News.
- Edit and coordinate production and distribution of Recommended Reading Lists (bibliographies).
- Work with IT department on Web site maintenance.
- Assist in maintenance of Wolfner Facebook page.
- Provide reference and information referral services for library users and convert responses, with clerical assistance, to the format required by the consumer (Braille, recorded media, large print, electronic file, etc.)
- Provide information about disabilities and related subjects to library users and the general public.
- Revise and maintain the reference portion of the Wolfner Library web page as needed.
- Serve as a state resource for assistive technology including screen readers, computer magnification and web page accessibility.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, patrons, colleagues in other libraries, related agencies and organizations, and consumer groups.
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Knowledge of assistive technology, online services, library automation, online and print reference sources.
- Ability to function effectively as a leader of, or participant in, work teams.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and other appropriate office computer applications.
- Ability to travel as needed for outreach.
- Ability to work independently.
Master of Library Science from an American Library Association accredited library school or equivalent is required. Two years of professional library experience preferred.
Position posted September 27, 2012. The minimum posting period will end October 26, 2012. After the minimum posting period, the position may be closed to new applicants and filled at any time.
Application materials (cover letter, resume, completed application) may be mailed to: Attention: Special Services Librarian, Human Resources, Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 1767, Jefferson City, MO 65101. EOE