On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Hall, Jack wrote:

> A new question: how do we determine the sex of a person. May we infer
> from the forename if we assume it is (usually?) used for one sex or the
> other? Do we need further evidence, and what might that be? I hesitate
> to email someone asking: What sex are you?

  If it can be determined from a person's forename, why bother? Waste of
time... unless we have to make sure exceptional people aren't confused
with others.

jgm

  John G. Marr
  Cataloger
  CDS, UL
  Univ. of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131

     **There are only 2 kinds of thinking: "out of the box" and "outside
the box."

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.