From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brueck, Vicki
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 13:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] populated place versus civil class designation in GNIS

Sorry I confused the issue referring to the PCC-LC PS about townships.  Alliance is a community in Pamlico County, N.C.  which has both a Civil and a Populated place entry in GNIS.  Alliance is not the name of a township in N.C.  If one of them were a township it would be more straightforward, I could simply add township as a qualifier to distinguish them.

I’m just not sure what to do when one entry in GNIS is referring to the political city (the civil class) which has legal city limits and the other GNIS entry (Populated place class) is referring to a “Place or area with clustered or scattered buildings” which may or may not coincide with the legal boundaries of the incorporated city limits.

Vicki Brueck

Vicki Brueck

Senior Cataloger

Resource Management Services Branch

State Library of North Carolina

4641 Mail Service Center

Raleigh, N.C.  27699-4641

Office: (919) 807-7451  Fax: (919) 733-1843

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law "NCGS.Ch.132" and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official.

[log in to unmask]" alt="dcr-200px-logo">[log in to unmask]" alt="State-Library-200-200px">