I worked up an example of a creative commons license using PREMIS semantic units. It fits into licenseInformation in PREMIS. I also put the code itself (after consultation with my colleague, Ray Denenberg) in rightsExtension by defining an extension called "embeddedHtml" (with no namespace) defined simply as a string. Then I embedded HTML inside it, escaping any XML control characters (<,>, ")

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<premis xmlns="info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
        xsi:schemaLocation="info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2 http://www.loc.gov/standards/premis/v2/premis-v2-2.xsd"
        version="2.2">

<object xsi:type="representation">

<objectIdentifier>

<objectIdentifierType>URI</objectIdentifierType>

<objectIdentifierValue>http://whatever.com/1234556</objectIdentifierValue>

</objectIdentifier>

</object>

<rights>

<rightsStatement>

<rightsStatementIdentifier>

<rightsStatementIdentifierType>
                    local

</rightsStatementIdentifierType>

<rightsStatementIdentifierValue>
                    RI123456

</rightsStatementIdentifierValue>

</rightsStatementIdentifier>

<rightsBasis>license</rightsBasis>

<licenseInformation>

<licenseDocumentationIdentifier>

<licenseDocumentationIdentifierType>
                    URI

</licenseDocumentationIdentifierType>

<licenseDocumentationIdentifierValue>
                    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

</licenseDocumentationIdentifierValue>

</licenseDocumentationIdentifier>

<licenseTerms>
                Attribution CC BY. This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation.

</licenseTerms>

</licenseInformation>

</rightsStatement>

<rightsExtension>

<embeddedHtml>

&lt;a  rel=&quot;license&quot; href=&quot;http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/&quot;&gt;Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License&lt;/a&gt;

</embeddedHtml>

</rightsExtension>

</rights>
</premis>

Comments?

Rebecca

Rebecca Guenther
Library of Congress
Network Development & MARC Standards Office