I worked up an example of a creative commons license using PREMIS semantic units. It fits into licenseInformation in PREMIS. I also put the code itself (after consultation with my colleague, Ray Denenberg) in rightsExtension by defining an extension called "embeddedHtml" (with no namespace) defined simply as a string. Then I embedded HTML inside it, escaping any XML control characters (<,>, ")

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <premis xmlns="info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
        xsi:schemaLocation="info:lc/xmlns/premis-v2 http://www.loc.gov/standards/premis/v2/premis-v2-2.xsd"
        version="2.2">
    <object xsi:type="representation">
        <objectIdentifier>
            <objectIdentifierType>URI</objectIdentifierType>
            <objectIdentifierValue>http://whatever.com/1234556</objectIdentifierValue>
        </objectIdentifier>
    </object>
    <rights>
        <rightsStatement>
            <rightsStatementIdentifier>
                <rightsStatementIdentifierType>
                    local
                </rightsStatementIdentifierType>
                <rightsStatementIdentifierValue>
                    RI123456
            </rightsStatementIdentifierValue>
        </rightsStatementIdentifier>
        <rightsBasis>license</rightsBasis>
        <licenseInformation>
            <licenseDocumentationIdentifier>
                <licenseDocumentationIdentifierType>
                    URI
                </licenseDocumentationIdentifierType>
                <licenseDocumentationIdentifierValue>
                    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
                </licenseDocumentationIdentifierValue>
            </licenseDocumentationIdentifier>
            <licenseTerms>
                Attribution CC BY. This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation.
            </licenseTerms>
        </licenseInformation>
    </rightsStatement>
        <rightsExtension>
            <embeddedHtml>
                &lt;a  rel=&quot;license&quot; href=&quot;http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/&quot;&gt;Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License&lt;/a&gt;
            </embeddedHtml>
        </rightsExtension>
    </rights>
</premis>

Comments?

Rebecca

Rebecca Guenther
Library of Congress
Network Development & MARC Standards Office