I look at SACDs as the audio equivalent of the Laserdisc.  That format
survived several years with a hefty catalogue aimed at a specialty
audience, primarily through mail order.

SACD has been a failure as a mass market item - the discs and players
only appeared in national retail outlets like Best Buy for a few
months before disappearing.