In a message dated 11/1/2012 10:22:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Your  description makes it similar to something called "Soundtrack for a
Century"  that Sony released to coincide with the turn of the
century/millenium. Most  of the material solicited from Sony Classical by
the organizers was not  included in the finished product. The emphasis was
on pop and short on  history.

Actually Dennis the SOURCE given for the audio of many of the early records
 IS "Soundtrack for a Century"! And the variety of music is way too diverse
and  too common. OC from "Oklahoma", Common Bessie Smith and Springsteen
together. I  know Mike Biel was talking about the pre-order offer on Amazon
for the set with  the zip drive on ither 78-L or here months ago. I can't see
a market for  this except for someone who just wants to own EVERY Columbia
release.  I'll  report on the Wilentz book when mine comes - hopefully next
week.

Steve