On 11/15/2012 01:39 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
> I thought that Abbey Road used 1-inch 4-track machines during the
> Beatles sessions, so the bouncing degradation wouldn't be as bad.

Oh, they did. (As noted by EMI's Peter Mew, and others. :) ) But even
so, when you mix the equivalent of four 1/4" tracks down to a single
1/4" track, then mix that track with more tracks to another one and so
on, you do get some degree of degradation because you're copying signal
plus hiss to another blank tape with hiss of its own.

Only a few tracks really display it, and it has to catch you. Most of
the time the music is so absorbing that it's only barely noticeable. I
wonder if they used any sort of noise reduction when doing this.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago