That is a legendary machine!  I would love to get one in good working order but shipping it to Canada is always a headache.  It appears to be equipped with a GE VRII cartridge which also had smooth sound on 78s and mono LPs.  The stylus is backed by a solid rubber pad which allows very little vertical movement and, I believe, leads to less surface noise.  Hard to get stylii for it though!

db