 From: carlstephenkoto <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, November 3, 2012 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Technics RS-1520 reel-to-reel recorder

Hey Jim,

The first thing you need to find out is if the Technics does this without a tape threaded. Also, if this symptom occurs at all speeds.
In either case, there are a number of possible problems. A fairly common one is a failure of one of the IC's on the control board. On the "easy fix" end is that it's the result of playing sticky tapes where residue from tape binder failure is stopping the tape travel (where thorough cleaning of the tape path is needed).
I've repaired a number of these machines and while some of the solutions can be quite simple for the end user to fix him/her-self, finding the root of the problem can take a bit of Q&A.
I suggest that you have your friend register and post an inquiry to the Tape Project Forum. There are a great number of Technics RS series users there and I can help him to get the 1520 up and running and the thread will add to the troubleshooting data base there.

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php

Steve Koto