  Both the Dvorak Concerto and its discmate, his Silent Woods (Du Pre/Barenboim/CSO) -- recorded November 11, 1970, Medinah Temple.

  The first Capitol/EMI CSO session was June 25, 1969. Ozawa. Borodin: Prince Igor: Polovtsian Dances; Kodaly: Dances from Galanta. Recorded in Edman Chapel, Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois. Not issued, and no other CSO sessions seem to have been held there. The works were done successfully at the sessions of June 30 and July 1, 1969 in Medinah. The rest of the Capitol/EMI sessions took place there, through Giulini's Mahler Symphony 1on March 30, 1971.

  The CSO's recording venues after the autumn of 1966 are a sad and slightly complicated story, and this all reflects that. In the summer of 1966 the Orchestral Association undertook what they described as an "updating" of Orchestra Hall. Some things needed it, but the acoustics did not. Nonetheless, the acoustics were severely damaged and the resultant sound was completely dead. All resonance and reverberation were gone. As someone who heard the before-and-after, it was shocking. For everyone. Additionally, what had been one of the finest halls in the country for recording was rendered useless for it. RCA attempted three sessions there after the "renovation:" Nielsen Symphony no. 4 (October 10, 1966) and Helios Overture and Massenet Thais Intermezzo (December 3, 1966, all cond. Martinon) and March 8, 1967 (Schumann Piano Concerto -- Rubinstein/Giulini). The early issues, before artificial reverb was added, are acoustically as dead as the proverbial doornail. An almost shocking change from the formerly great acoustics and resonance of the empty hall. RCA clearly felt they could no longer record the CSO there and had to go elsewhere. The first attempt was at the historic Auditorium Theatre on February 15, 1967 with Morton Gould. All Ives: Orchestral Set no. 2; Three Places in New England; Robert Browning Overture. After that RCA moved to Medinah Temple, first on April 26, 1967 with Jean Martinon. The rest of their sessions were held there through May 16, 1968. They reverted to Orchestra Hall for the Ozawa sessions of July 1 and 16 and August 9 -- the last ones under the RCA contract.

  Some of the recordings Carl cited were made in Orchestra Hall before the mid-1966 acoustical disaster, not in Medinah Temple. I'll include some he didn't cite as well:

  Morton Gould, Orchestra Hall --

  Ives: Symphony 1 -- November 6, 1965
  Ives: The Unanswered Question -- January 31, 1966
  Ives-Schuman: Variations on "America" -- ditto

  Orchestra Hall, all on June 18, 1966:

  Morton Gould/Benny Goodman, clarinet

  Nielsen: Symphony no. 2
  Nielsen: Clarinet Concerto
  Fred Fischer-Gould: "Chicago, that Toddlin' Town" (Goodman)

  The first Solti/CSO Decca sessions were held in Medinah Temple on March 26, 27, and April 6, 7, 8 1970.

  Thanks are due to Mike Gray and Steve Smolian, who obtained this information and sent it to me for a CSO discography that I unfortunately had to abandon preparing.

  Don Tait