From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 11:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] New York Subways Radio Documentary

Well hopefully the BBC will put it online. I can't imagine it has one penny of monetary value, so this whole discussion of ownership and rights is ridiculous, it should be out in the public domain already (note that it would be in the UK). Plus, it wouldn't have been possible without access to the publicly-funded NYC subway system, which I believe operated at that time (and operates to this
day) with a heavy subsidy from federal  taxes, hence partial ownership by every U.S. citizen.

Yet another case of something the preservation and maintenance of which is funded by those who can't get any access to it (unless they live local to Washington DC and can take the time to wade through the LOC access rules and listen to it in person, which may well cost them extra money). Very frustrating!

-- Tom Fine