Aha! Thanks, Mark. I had forgotten that the 7xx author/title entries are
author/uniform title entries. This is most evident in music records, a
bit less so for texts since so many texts don't get a formalized uniform
title. (e.g. no a/t authority record).

Interestingly, my first example record gets a 740 for the second Twain
title, but not an a/t entry. (Is there a rule that if there's only a
title entry then it is assumed that the 1xx is the author? That sounds a
bit prone to error to me.) Maybe it would be best to model the aggregate
case using music records, since they probably do the best job of
handling this case.

kc

--
Karen Coyle