Aha! Thanks, Mark. I had forgotten that the 7xx author/title entries are author/uniform title entries. This is most evident in music records, a bit less so for texts since so many texts don't get a formalized uniform title. (e.g. no a/t authority record).

Interestingly, my first example record gets a 740 for the second Twain title, but not an a/t entry. (Is there a rule that if there's only a title entry then it is assumed that the 1xx is the author? That sounds a bit prone to error to me.) Maybe it would be best to model the aggregate case using music records, since they probably do the best job of handling this case.

kc