I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but the authority
examples used in the diagrams in the document do not ring true for me,
and I admit that they are presenting a stumbling block in terms of my
own mental image of bibframe.

Place of publication and publisher are not authority controlled. These
are transcribed elements. "Publisher" in particular is problematic
because what is transcribed from the title page is often the name of an
imprint ("Penguin Classics") not the identity of a corporation or
institution. (And with all of the buyouts of publishers, I think most of
us would be hard-pressed to develop a coherent "who's who" in that
area.) Physical format is a controlled vocabulary, but those are not
generally called "authorities." Almost all authority controlled elements
in RDA have their relationships to either Work or Expression (which I
believe means BIBFRAME Work). There are some authority controlled
relationships to manifestations (I keep a cheat sheet here [1]), but
they tend to be rather specialized, relating to rare book cataloging or
materials like braille.

[Note: There is a Publisher role listed in RDA related to Manifestation,
but I don't know when it is used. I'm suspecting rare books again, but
hope someone more knowledgeable on the list can respond.]

There will be authority controlled entities with relationships to item
(same cheat sheet), again for specialized materials.

In current data, "Work" and "Expression" are sometimes represented in an
authority record. Classical music works seem to always get such an
authority entry. I'm not at all clear on what happens to these as we
move into RDA, since the FRBR:Work entity carries the data elements that
are now in the authority record (plus others), and the anticipated
identifier for the FRBR:Work entity would perform the identification
function of the current authoritative heading.

I hope and expect that library data will expand its use of identified
entities in the future. I would very much like to see at least a
controlled list for place of publication (because I can think of uses
for that). This would have to exist along with the transcribed place
information, since that has a different purpose.

kc
p.s. Catalogers on the list: please feel free to correct any
mis-statements here about RDA!

[1] http://kcoyle.net/rda/roles.txt

--
Karen Coyle