After watching Kevin Ford's SWIB12 presentation recording and slides
http://3windmills.com/kefo-swib12-bfi/ I have some questions about the
nature of the Work class.

Kevin talks about the conversion process, conversion tools, splitting of
MARC records, etc. And there is an example of a BIBFRAME RDF
representation of a resulting Work.

Looking at the described conversion procedures and the RDF example
somehow I get the feeling that BIBFRAME Works will be treated as local
redundant entities. I hope I'm wrong. Of course the BIBFRAME model can
be implemented in a number of ways, both as local silo and as globally
shared data. But I had the impression that 'based on linked data' meant
abolition of redundancy by linking instead of copying/duplicating, not
just using RDF as storage format.

Ideally, a Work would be described only once, and as such be similar to
an authority record to which links are made from Instances and
Annotations. Of course in the real world we will have a limited number
of redundant Work data stores. For this we would use "sameAs" relationships.

In Kevin's RDF example I see however four Instance URIs, which would
only make sense if this is a local library 'record' containing links to
all local holdings of the work (FRBR Manifestations, originating from
local legacy MARC records).
A globally shared Work entity would of course never be able to hold
links to all Instances existing in the world. This would not make any
sense at all. A Work would not contain any Instance links at all.
Rather, all Instances of a specific Work would obviously have one link
to that Work.
The only use for links to Instances in a Work would be to indicate
provenance, which already is taken care of by the 'derivedFrom' and
'consolidates' links in the example.

Anyway, I would expect libraries only to be dealing with Annotations for
their own local holdings, linking, in their own new linked data ready
systems, to existing Instances (FRBR Manifestations) made available by
authorities such as LoC, OCLC, publishers, etc.
Of course, Works and Instances might be available for editing by other
trusted parties in a wikipedia way.

Lukas Koster
Library Systems Coordinator
Library and Information Systems Department
Library of the University of Amsterdam
Web: http://uba.uva.nl
Mobile site: http://m.uba.uva.nl
Digital Library: http://lib.uva.nl