Roy & Mac

Not doing both is not a BIBFRAME question it's a cataloging workflow
question. Is the information readily available? If not, how much time
should be spent looking for it? I think the cataloging rules make the
right decision when it comes to clear identification of a book: if you
and I are holding the same Manifestation in our hands and we record what
we see on the title page, then our metadata is going to "match" and we
don't have to go beyond the title page to determine who the "real"
publisher is.

We could record both but, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it may be
very difficult to determine what corporate entity the publisher is since
what you get on the title page may be the name of the imprint, not the
name of the publisher. Example:

Bright lights, big city : a novel / by Jay McInerney
McInerney, Jay
<http://encore.berkeley-public.org/iii/encore/search/C__SMcInerney%2C+Jay__Orightresult?lang=eng&suite=pearl>

New York : Vintage Contemporaries, c1984

The selected poetry of Robinson Jeffers
Jeffers, Robinson, 1887-1962
<http://encore.berkeley-public.org/iii/encore/search/C__SJeffers%2C+Robinson%2C+1887-1962__Orightresult?lang=eng&suite=pearl>

New York, Vintage Books, [c1955]

The selected poetry of Robinson Jeffers
Jeffers, Robinson, 1887-1962
<http://encore.berkeley-public.org/iii/encore/search/C__SJeffers%2C+Robinson%2C+1887-1962__Orightresult?lang=eng&suite=pearl>

New York, Random House, [c1938]

Who's the "publisher"? From bottom to top: Random House, Knopf, Random
House.

 From wikipedia:

"*Vintage Books* is a publishing imprint
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprint> founded in 1954 by Alfred A.
Knopf <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_A._Knopf>. Its publishing
list includes world literature, fiction, and non-fiction. Vintage is one
of the biggest British publishing houses of trade paperbacks
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperback#Trade_paperback>.

It was acquired by Random House
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_House> publishing in April 1960,
and now is a subdivision of Random House which is in turn owned by
Bertelsmann <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertelsmann>, a German
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany> media conglomerate
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conglomerate_%28company%29>. In 1990
Vintage UK was set up in the United Kingdom. This division is
independent from the American company although both are part of Random
House."

If we were to start tomorrow to take in data from ONIX records for new
books coming in and to use their publisher IDs then having both is a
no-brainer. (I'm assuming ONIX records the publishing company as well as
the imprint name.) Should we add a publisher ID when it *is* readily
available? I think that's a question for a future that the cataloging
rules do not currently address. But I'm assuming that BIBFRAME will
allow it.

kc

--
Karen Coyle