From Richard Moore:
"It might be useful to add a qualifer to him anyway, as there are an awful lot of George Blacks. In my opinion it never helps to have one unqualified access point floating around in the authority file, for a common preferred name."

Or at the very least it would be nice to add identifying information beyond the form of name on the t.p. and the title of the item on which they NAR is based.

"Changing it might be against the letter of the law, but  large numbers of access points are being changed for RDA purposes in any case..."

That sounds like justification for a whole raft of changes I've been contemplating, but in any case I've added bits to a few NARs over the years to make the names they represent more identifiable without the cataloging cops coming down on me. This posting may change that I suppose, but still the ease of use of the patron seems to me to be more important than the letter of cataloging law.

Mike Tribby
Eight more contact days and counting
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.