Am 26.12.2012 23:27, schrieb Guenther, Rebecca:
> The MODS Editorial Committee has discussed this request. It seems
> that there are a few issues (correct me if I'm wrong): 1. Somehow
> marking the record or names with "et al." to indicate that there is a
> longer list we don't know about

Thank you for your response and yes that is exactly the point.

> The Editorial Committee didn't think that the usage attribute was the
> proper place for this, because we would have to change its meaning.
>
> The "et al." would be in the statement of responsibility
> (particularly if cataloging rules were followed), thus indicating
> that there is a longer list of names. In MODS that goes to note
> type="statement of responsibility". Doesn't this help?
>
> If there is reason to give an explicit indication about the missing
> names, one could create a bogus name to be used in the <name>
> element, e.g. <name><namePart>et al.</namePart></name>. You could
> also use the <description> element under name to explain the
> situation.

This is where I don't feel the solution is right. I need an official
suggestion how to mark entries as being "unknown" or "et al." for
automatic transformations in other metadata formats that offer this
description. Having this in prose somewhere in description would not fit
that purpose as it is not machine readable. So yes, it should be
attached to the name element somehow as this is where the roles are handled.

Of cause adding this two entries would change the usage attribute but it
would just add two more valid values. So there is no incompatible change
here. In my opinion the definition "Use of the name in the resource
description." is generic enough to handle these cases, too.

kind regards,

Thomas Scheffler