From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Thomas Scheffler
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 5:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MODS] how to mark "et al."

Hi,

I wonder what is the best solution to mark a mods:name being the "et al." part in a list of persons. The way I see it, the "usage" attribute should be the best place. There is already a value "primary" defined to mark the main author.

Are there any known mods profiles that mark mods:name entries as "et al."? If not I would like to suggest that usage="et al." marks a undefined list of names, where the real name of persons/corporations could not, would not or can not be resolved. Leaving an entry fully uncommented may result in loosing semantics in further transformation processes or software that handle these cases.

This problem is similar to unknown persons where you have some information for the description or affiliation. I would suggest that these names should be marked as usage="unknown".

I am looking forward for any comments on this matter.

regards,

Thomas Scheffler