Just reading through Roy Tennant's article at
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2013/01/roy-tennant-digital-libraries/library-of-congress-bibframe-initiative-part-2/

And it got me to thinking, a point quoted in the article was that each of
the implementations is doing different transformations on the MARC records

The second point is that RDF/XML, N-triples and JSON formats are supported.

One markup format, one plain text format, one javascript format.

Which got me to thinking, each of these formats has different requirements;
for instance:

* RDF/XML would use markup where N-triples and JSON would use Unicode
Formatting Control Characters.

* RDF/XML and N-triples would reference characters outside the Basic
Multilingual Plane directly as characters or as six digit hexadecimal
numerical entities, while JSON requires to four digit hexadecimal numerical
entities representing UTF-16 surrogate pairs.

* RDF/XML can use characters directly or XML/HTML style hexadecimal or
decimal numerical character references or named entities (e.g.
Ā)while JSON requires javascript nuerical entities ,e.g.
\u0100; finally
N-triples is more agnostic but has some interesting requirements, e.g.
requires support for all Unicode characters and references charmod, and
indicates a preference for actual characters over escaped characters,
except where required by the encoding.

So different intermediation processing of characters maybe required for
each format, as well as logic to handle markup versus Unicode format
control characters.

If this makes sense?

--
Andrew Cunningham
Project Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Mobile: 0459 806 589
Email: [log in to unmask]

http://www.openroad.net.au/