Hi Kelley,

I am hoping this note is not too late to share some of my experience.I
was trying to respond to your very well thought-out questions
earlier.Then I got sick. I so appreciated the opportunity of getting an
insight look at the WPE at OLAC with your presentation.

Firstly, GW as one of the Early Experiments (EE) has very limited time,
experience and expertise to experiment with cutting edge technology. In
my case, on top of testing the model, providing feedback, my daily
routine did not stop. EE were asked to experiment the Bibframe model as
proposed (the model was released in November).Interestingly, though no
specific assignments were given for the test, each took on different
aspects, approaches to the project. As you see, members of the group
looked at the big elephant in the room from various angles. In some
ways, the outcomes and discussions enriched the process (I hope). This
process has helped me personally to understand the intent and potential
of BibFrame (BF) a lot better.  It was gratifying as I got to know GW
data a lot better: such as the 21% of invalid tags still exist in our
ILS system!! Yikes!

Secondly, your point of the tools and crosswalks. There were various
levels of mappings and crosswalks done by the EE. Each set of mappings
was based on a very selective set of records or tasks that each
institution decided to focus on. In the December meeting, there were
also discussions with regards to tools.  Plugged-in ones in particular.
The tools would facilitate experimentation by interested libraries with
the library's own data. Both LC and OCLC alluded to a possibility of
providing such tools for libraries to transform and examine their data.
The tools may be mounted onto respective infrastructures (OCLC or LC)?!
Perhaps we will hear more updates at the Midwinter or little before then?!

Thirdly, the ability to dig deeper into the data and parse out the
relationship as you pointed out. There were a great deal of discussions
on the concept of relationship, its definition, how best to parse the
data in the Bibframe environment. Collection relationship (naturally
with-in/out a resource, such as serials, series, In analytics,
bound-with, even, TOC?, etc.) for which libraries have taken different
approaches to express them in MARC. In GW's data, I found many older
data coded in a general note without subfield (such as Bound with).
But, with consistent use of phraseology for certain type of material and
punctuations, it helped when transforming MARC data to BF data.
Consistent punctuation most certainly helps the transformation of data
from current encoding environment to Work, Instance environment.  The
transforming exercise during the experiment helped to strategize
prepping of data too.

Subgroups were tasked to work on various aspects. This point paper on
relationship hopefully may help us think through the relationships on
various levels as related to the BF environment of Work and Instance.

Lastly, the discussion of new data to be created in BF did not take up
much real estate as the group has been trying to nail down the
definition of Work and Instance, and how Authority related to the two
elements. Your point of born-BF data is an important piece. Surely as
the community move forward, a group of professionals such as you will
see to this as it has definitely an implication and influence to
establishing future workflow.

Thank you.

/Jackie Shieh
Coordinator